Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Domestic Diva

I finally made my debut appearance at the Gutsy Gals Adventure Club. Here is my cake in a super classy pizza pan. Note the impeccable crumb coat. It's like auto body work.
Here I've applied the frosting. I have no patience for crafts or cutesy ANYTHING, so the frosting is slopped all over.Here's Melissa and her beautiful cake. No sloppage to be seen anywhere.
Matt's friend Rachel joined us. She was fun to get to know. She learned local lingo words like "DI" and "Pampered Chef." She does NOT recommend the book Beloved. I told her we'd take that book to DI. Some gals made really pretty cakes. Well, make that 99 percent of the gals. But here's mine. It has a Cheese Whiz border and my family's names in garbled frosting words. Jealous?Here's Melissa's yummy cake that was too pretty to eat, but we got over it soon enough.
Melissa's sister made a perfectly fine cake with pretty flowers. She joked that it was a funeral cake or the cake that nobody bid on at the bake auction. Then the next thing we knew, she'd written this on her cake:

The beginnings of a sunflower design. It's so intricate, it looks like a knitted afghan. The proud cakesters.

9 comments:

kate said...

heather you are hilarious! and i think your cake looks delish. :)

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I suck at cake decorating!!! They all look great! :)

Kati said...

Looks like so much fun - and you did MUCH better than I could have - I'll have to show you pics of all the kids birthday "cakes". You WILL laugh - and feel better about yours! :)

Gayle said...

i like your cheese whiz boarder. :o) you did a good job! cake decorating is hard!

Grace said...

your cake was a happy and very cute. I loved it. I am so glad you debut the club. hope you will come again...was it yummy? the cake I mean?

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

Please, please tell me that it wasn't really cheese whiz! I am cake-decorating (and everything else that has to do with cooking) retarded. You would never know I was a Home Ec teacher, would you?

Gallant Family said...

So is this a club or something? What a great idea. I've never decorated a cake with the real tools. Can't wait to see the next one!

Imaginer said...

Ha, Ha, but we are a gutzy group of girls!! I hope to use the napkin technique as often as possible, perhaps not even on cakes. How about on potato salad...mmm smooth potato salad.

Thanks for inviting me on such a harrowing and breath-taking adventure. Know that we know each other's "digits" and by this I mean blogs, we should be able to keep a close tabs on each other!

Tell Maura, Chad and the gang hello!

Tracy said...

I LOVED it that you came...it was awesome to see you! Also, your cake was darling, don't knock it! LOL
See you next time maybe??
Hugs, Tracy