Monday, December 27, 2010

What I've Learned in 2010

That people actually read this blog, and politely request that I update more often.

That it's so rewarding when your kid does the thing that you have taken great pains to teach her her to do. Like when she says "please" and "thank you" without reminding.

That about every ten years, I can reteach myself how to file adoption papers! I was lucky to be able to do the paperwork for my nephew's adoption, and attend the hearing, blessing and sealing. Adoptions are the only positive files I get to do! Love them!

That I love my job. I like crafting legal arguments in such a way as to persuade a judge. It's not ideal for me to be a working mother, but it's the next best thing.

That I truly "married up." Chad is so very patient. I love his intelligence, sincerity, thoughtfulness, and quiet humor. By "quiet" I mean that you have to listen closely, or you'll miss the hilarious things he says under his breath. Some days he's not 100 percent there, and on those days I miss him terribly. Over the past two plus years, Chad's quality of life has declined significantly, but not in ways that are measured in his monthly blood tests that determine his placement on the transplant waiting list. This can be pretty frustrating, but we're grateful for doctors who work to try to get Chad closer to a transplant.

That life is precious.

That a good bedside manner goes a long way. Chad's favorite doctor will walk in the exam room, clap Chad on the back and say "How are you Chadly? You look like Hell." His docs do a good job of reassuring him that they're thinking of him and acting in his best interests.

That I need to stop feeling sorry for myself for not having a "normal" life. Normal lives are for normal people. Who am I to expect normality? I used to get upset because our family had the same goals as everyone else, like having a home, family, 2 cars, a garden, canning in the Fall, going to the Farmer's Market Saturday mornings, and complaining to the husband how the kids made a scene at the grocery store earlier that day. My current situation leaves no room for vacations, girls nights out, book clubs, play dates, shopping, some Young Women activities, dates out with my husband, taking family photos, sending out Christmas cards, etc. We're pretty much tethered to the Wasatch Front. I've come to grips with this this past year, and I'm okay with this.

That after 16 years, purple eyeliner is an awesome replacement for brown eyeliner.

7 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

Yay for the first lesson!
We like you people. I actually like your entire post, not just the first line.

TJ said...

I love it when you post! I know you have zero time to do so, so it's always a treat when you do. You're an impressive chick Heather Bury Jemmett. Hope 2011 is a great year for you guys, you deserve it.

Jessica Dean said...

You inspire me. And yes, purple eyeliner rocks!

Megan said...

We love you guys. And baby Gabe really loves Chad. And normal lives are for lame people :)

Criscell said...

Hey! I'm glad you posted! How are you? How was your Christmas? I'm so sorry for you guys--I bet it feels like Chad's been on the waiting list forever. Hang in there! You're in my prayers.

kate said...

i totally missed this post somehow. but it made me happy! please do keep posting, and let us know about your medical status from time to time! prayin for ya...

Bryan and Michelle Pack said...

I was thinking about you today. How funny! Love ya!