Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Yes!

After an excess of two and a half years, Chad received a transplant on March 29, 2011. It was a seven hour surgery. His old liver was swollen, ugly, and difficult to get out. His new liver is healthy. He's doing great. One doctor says he's a "rock star" and the other says he's healing like a "poster child." We are ecstatic, grateful, humbled, and relieved. We pray that the family of the donor can be comforted. We want to be able to someday relay to them our gratitude for the compassion they had in deciding to allow their loved one to donate his or her organs.

These last two days have been joyful ones. Chad wants to celebrate yesterday annually instead of his actual birthday.

It will be nice to have my husband back. It will be nice to have him go for walks with Maura and I. It will be nice to have help carrying in the groceries. It will be nice for Chad to pick Maura up and hold her. It will be nice to allow her to sit on his lap. It will be nice for Maura to have a dad who rough houses with her, plays Hide and Seek with her, runs around the yard with her, and dances with her. It will be nice for Chad to watch her grow up.

13 comments:

kate said...

you got me to cryin, heather. so so happy for you and chad and your dear family!

Merinda Reeder said...

I'm so happy for you all. I'll add March 28 to my birthday calendar.

Bryan and Michelle Pack said...

I am so excited for you!! I hope he continues to heal quickly.

victoria said...

Oh, you're making me cry, too. I'm so happy for you!

Amy Bury said...

This is such a hopeful,sincere and beautiful entry. This truely is a re-birthday for Chad and You and Maura. We love you!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

I don't think I really realized how hard this has been for you guys, and how much had been sacrificed as far as day to day living. What a struggle! I have been praying like crazy for you and it looks like I am one of many. So, so happy for you guys.

Kati said...

What a beautiful post, Heather. I was/am constantly amazed at the strength and humor you and Chad have projected throughout the short time I've know you. I am honored to have been able to watch you handle such huge challenges with such grace and courage. SO happy for you all and SO glad that everything is looking up.

Kallie said...

Yay for the Jemmett family! So glad I happened to look at your blog tonight. So many prayers on your families behalf, finally answered.

Jenny said...

Reading this brings tears to my eyes! You guys are so strong and have weathered a storm I bet you never knew you'd have to weather. I am so glad that the waiting is over so you guys can finally move forward with your cute lives! All my love...

Criscell said...

YIPPEE!!!! I'm sooooo very happy and relieved for you guys!!!! That is the BEST news! Thank heavens. I'm so glad that you can have your husband back and Maura can have a dad again. What a great blessing. You guys are such awesome examples having to go through all that for the past 2.5 years. I've thought about you a lot.

Are You Serious! said...

Oh my gosh!!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!!! Such a huge blessing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Heather. I admire you. You are so strong! I sure miss you. And am so very glad for your husband's transplant. Hugs and Kisses!!! (Emily Ulmer Rowley... 'I miss you sooooooo much!')

Howards said...

I just stumbled across your blog, you have not been on here in a while, but I just want to tell you how encouraging this is for me. You dont know me but my uncle is dying and needs a liver really bad. he only has like 2 months left to live, it is so hard to watch him get sicker! It is soo good to know that someone else out there struggling with the same thing got a liver! I hope that your husband is still doing well and will continue to heal fastly, I will put you and your family on my prayer list! god bless you!