Friday, July 17, 2009

Happy First Maura


Dear Maura:

Today you are one year old.

Two days before you were due to be born, your father went into the emergency room. While we waited for him to see a doctor and be administered some pain relief meds, I was anxious and stressed and worried because of your impending due date. While he laid in his hospital bed in terrible pain, he reassured me that everything would be okay.


So for the next four days, I schlepped my hospital bag back and forth and spent those days in your father's hospital room. I had no idea what to expect when I would inevitably go into labor. I started having serious contractions the same day your father had his first of four blood transfusions. I skipped eating lunch in the cafeteria because I thought to myself, what if I have an embarrassing contraction right there in the middle of the cafeteria? I didn't realize that I was experiencing actual labor. I had been told that contractions feel like "really bad menstrual cramps." I have a history of severe menstrual cramps (yeah, you're welcome for that) and in my mind I wasn't having textbook contractions. I fed your father ice chips and answered the nurses' questions. Your great aunt informed me that I was in labor, and I denied it. Your grandmother told me that I ought to check myself in, after all, I was only two floors above the place where you would be born. Instead, I waited to see if your father's transfusion was successful before I would go home and watch Becoming Jane to get my mind off of the pain I was feeling.

I had your grandmother drive me home because I didn't think I should drive myself. I folded some laundry and put it away. Your grandmother insisted that I write down the times I was having contractions. Yeah, they were close together, but they weren't lasting the full 45-60 seconds that the textbooks AND doctors AND birth classes said they should last. After all, I thought it would be the ultimate rejection to show up at the hospital ready to become a mother and be told, hey, even though you're suffering intense pain, go back home. Finally, your grandmother insisted upon calling the doctor to see whether I should go to the hospital. He said I should probably come in.

When I reached the hospital, I was certain that I would be turned away. I found out that I was dilated to a nine. Things started happening really quickly. When I was wheeled down the hall, one of the nurses asked if I was "going to do this naturally." I said, "You must be the funny nurse." Another nurse said that she hoped an anesthesiologist would show up in time. Yes, please! By that time, the pain was quite intense and I was gripping the side rails of the bed. Thankfully, he showed up. Next time, I think I'll have him meet me at home.

When the doctor plopped you onto my chest it was such a strange sensation. If felt good to have you pulled out of me, but at the same time it was alarming because I had been protecting that baby bump for so long, even avoiding any degree of waistband constriction so that I wouldn't feel any more nauseated than I did the WHOLE NINE MONTHS. But suddenly there was this weight- a live human being no less- on that very spot. And I was surprised at how heavy that little person was. And how grayish-purple you looked.

The nurses took you away to determine your Apgar score, and while I was being stitched up (for 30 minutes!), I just watched you. Your birth was such a bright spot during a scary week. I thought the timing of our entire family's hospital stay was crazy, but you are your father's angel. I don't know what we'd do without you to focus on right now.

We're trying to be good parents. I haven't even put headbands or bows or anything in your fine hair because I think it would have made you uncomfortable. I haven't polished your nails. I haven't felt like you needed any adornment beyond what nature gave to you. Of course, you don't seem as helpless and vulnerable to me now, so that all may change soon! I have whipped up egg whites to put in your hair. Hey, give me a break. I told your father years ago that we weren't having any children unless they had naturally curly hair.

Circumstances aren't ideal, but I'm so glad that you have such a strong bond with your father because of the fact that he is home with you.

We were happy before, but we were so completely ignorant of the joy we feel now. You have brought so much joy to our lives.

Happy birthday.

16 comments:

Gayle said...

very sweet! Happy Birthday! How time flies!!! I love the tongue so cute!

Mary Ann said...

Great journaling and photos! Happy Birthday Maura!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Kati said...

Thank you for sharing your story and lives with all of us - we are so lucky to have you as neighbors and friends! Happy Birthday Maura!

Megan said...

crap! now i am all emotional....sheesh thanks a LOT! haha. happy birthday sweet maura. your story seriously turned me into a baby. maura is so blessed to have you for a mommy :)

kate said...

just lovely heather. now i'm all verklempt. i loved reading maura's arrival story, and she is one sweet little beauty!

Bryan and Michelle Pack said...

Such a sweet post!!

The McKinnons said...

That was neat to hear the whole story. I have always wondered how it all worked out. I cannot believe you were a 9 when they checked you at the hospital. Ouch. Maura is adorable and you are a great mom. You are also right that she doesn't need any additional adornment, she is exceptionally beautiful all on her own.

Are You Serious! said...

♥ How sweet~ She's adorable and I can't believe it's already been a year! :)

TJ said...

A little misty-eyed over here after that post. So sweet. You guys are amazing and Maura is so adorable. Happy Birthday to Maura!

victoria said...

What a sweet tribute. And what a darling, squishable little face! Happy First Birthday, Maura!

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

That really was so beautiful. Isn't it amazing how much they add to a family?

I can't believe you waited until you were a 9!! Are you insane?! (o:

Brandi said...

Great to read updates about your cutie! It seems weird that Maura is already a year since the last time we saw you she had not been born yet.

Grace said...

I am so glad we are related! You are so cool and amazing. I loved your words...We missed you guys so much. It was so good to see you today. Maura is a beautiful bright spot in my day! We love you(:

Rachel said...

wow time flies...so I caught up on my blog reading and read everything on your first page....i'm not going back farther it will take too long and it's against my religion. but I got quite a few out loud giggles at your funny-nurse-dudley-moore-hair-cut-orthepedic-weird-toe-foot-apparatus-funeral-cake-warm-fuzzy-blocks-and-family-reunion posts so thanks...I needed a funny laugh. as apposed to NOT funny laughing. here is my laugh to give to you, it is worth the watch....
http://www.hulu.com/watch/67437/saturday-night-live-high-school-musical-4

Tracy said...

Why are you trying to make people get all teary and blurry eyed at work? How am I suppose to see the terminal and feign work, when I'm all sniffly? All I was looking for was a little picture or two, maybe an update and I get this beautifully written love letter to your daughter! She is so sweet and you are such a great mom!
Big hugs to all of you!