Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ummm, Not So Much

I've been wanting a haircut. There's just something about my at-home layering-with-a-disposable-razor technique that isn't a feasible long-term plan. My hair has grown out and I wanted some Nicole Kidman-esque layers. I asked around and got a recommendation and took this picture with me to my appointment:
I love her layers and her awesome bangs. The last (real) haircut I had was what I call a stacked, A-line "Utah Bob," so I had some shorter layers underneath. So when the hairstylist asked if I wanted the back "evened out," I answered yes. And when asked if I wanted the front blended with my bangs, I said sure. I even think I threw out a "whatever you think is best" as well. Here's what I ended up with:
Please ignore my tooth hanging out. I wore braces for three years when I was a teen and you'd think I'd have learned to smile and keep it all in by now.
Ummmm hellllloooooo. 1994 called. Or is it 1978? Joan Jett? Carol Brady's shag? Jane Fonda in Klute? Can you say mullett? This morning, I walked out of the bathroom after attempting to style this mop and Chad took one look at me and said "Do you remember that episode of friends where Phoebe cuts Monica's hair, and Monica wants a Demi Moore haircut and Phoebe thinks she means Dudley Moore?"

This is entirely my fault. The gal cutting my hair was really nice and I didn't really take a hard, serious look at the cut until I got home. I should have asked follow-up questions like "what will it look like if you [insert hair jargon here]? I should never assume she's got the same picture in her mind that I have. I have learned my lesson. It's a comical lesson. So I'm ponytailing it for a week until I can go to my trusted, albeit much more expensive (ouch) friend Michelle. She's awesome! You can totally trust my recommendation. :)

8 comments:

Mrs. M. said...

Hey...I saw it in person, and it was cute!

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I went in once and showed a picture and the hair was just about shoulder length I got out of the with it just below my ears! HELLOOOOOO! Yeah I get the whole their vision is usually NOT MINE!!! :)

Home of the Muddy Kids said...

HA! I just did the same thing, except mine was self-imposed. And, yes, I had to go get it fixed too. My hair was about 4 inches above my waist (hair-growing contest) and now it's about 2 inches past my shoulders. Luckily, the girl I was in the contest with went in the day before I did for a trim and came out with an accidental bob. It's just a bad month for haircuts, I think.

kate said...

but you would still look gorgeous even if you were bald, so i don't feel too bad for ya, you model. you would be perfect for all the downeast outfitters mags! but i do understand, i got my hair dyed this week for my high school reunion. big mistake!!

Bryan and Michelle Pack said...

I went in once with an older photo of myself to have a stylist use as reference. Well...she had just broken up with her boyfriend and was kind of upset and took it out on my hair. I ended up with a haircut shorter than my husbands. It was awful!!

Jessica Dean said...

You have always had beautiful hair, so this hair cut doesn't change that. I remember my mom came to visit me and we sat behind you in church and mom said to me, "who cuts HER hair, it's so beautiful!" Funny memeory

Megan said...

They say that you should get regular trims every 8 weeks or so as you grow out your hair, but I've done so faithfully, and inevitably the chick chops off way too much. TRIM? You call that a TRIM??? I am resolved to not let any scissors come within inches of my hair for the next year or so as I strive to grow out this mess. I WANT LONG HAIR! I think I've been actually wanting Jennifer Aniston hair for about 9 years now. Ouch.

Grace said...

everyone has a hair story. don't even get me started! shaggy dog cut, trashy blonde color, oh my! but guess what? you look great, and your hair is actually really really cute (: